What is a hip flexor stretch?
The hip flexors are a group of muscles that bend the hip and pull the leg up toward the body. The iliopsoas consists of the psoas major and iliacus. The psoas starts at your lowest six vertebrae. The iliacus starts in the pelvic bowl. They attach to the femur or upper leg bone.
During lifting, pushing, and pulling, the iliopsoas stabilizes the trunk. iliopsoas pulls knees to chest. When running and kicking in sports like soccer, you swing your leg forward.
Here are hip flexor exercises and stretches mentioned below to keep you strong and flexible and enhance your hip movement. Read more about at home strength training for fat loss.
A. Hip flexor stretch for strength
People in this day and age always seem to have weak hips. People’s hip flexors in the front of the hip get tight and their glute muscles in the back of the hip get compressed and stretched in part because they spend so much time sitting down. This shows why Dead Butt Syndrome is a real thing.
To keep from getting hit hard, do hip exercises to strengthen your hips before you get affected. Here are some of the best stretches to enhance your hip flexors.
1. Seated butterfly stretch
With the seated butterfly stretch, the hips, thighs, and lower back are stretched. It’s easy to do and can be done while sitting down.
- Straighten up with abs engaged.
- Push the knees out and the feet together.
- Pull heels toward the body and relax knees, letting them fall.
- Deeply breathe for 20-30 seconds.
2. Pigeon present
Pigeon pose is a common yoga stretch that gives the hips an intense stretch. Take some precautions when trying this pose for the first time because it is hard.
- Start in push-up plank.
- Raise the left foot, bring the knee to the left hand, and push the foot to the right.
- As far back as possible, move the right leg.
- With straight hips, squat as far as possible.
- Then flip sides.
The yoga position bridge is very common. While lying down, it stretches many parts of the legs, hips, and back.
- Lay down with arms at sides.
- Keep feet flat and toes pointed.
- Form a straight, angled line from the knees to the shoulders by engaging the core.
- Repeat for 30 seconds.
B. Hip-reinforcing exercises
There are some good exercises that can be done at home or at the gym. These exercises strengthen the legs overall, but they focus on the hip flexor muscles. A person can try the following exercises to strengthen the hip flexor:
1. Lunges exercise
Lunges are a great exercise for strengthening the leg and hip muscles. Forward, backward, and sideways lunges are possible. First, lunge forward.
Steps to perform Forward lunge:
- Start with slightly separated feet.
- Hands-on hips or straight by sides.
- A big step forward, heel first.
- While bending the other knee towards the ground, bend the forward knee until the thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Push off the leading foot to stand.
- Switch sides.
- Do 5 to 10 reps.
2. Leg lifts
Straight leg lifts are another exercise that may be done lying down. It’s simple yet works the lower body well.
Steps to perform straight-leg raise:
- Start by lying on the floor with your arms by your sides.
- Bring feet to buttocks, forming a triangle with knees.
- Alternately lift one leg, forming a straight line from the hips to the ankle.
- 8-10 reps per leg.
When you do squats, you can work your legs and your core at the same time. Squats are also very flexible exercises, which means that a person can change how hard they are to satisfy their changing fitness needs.
- Start with feet slightly apart and arms at the sides.
- Knees bent, buttocks back.
- Keep knees in line with feet as you drop to parallel legs.
- Keep abs tight and arms at chest level.
- Depending on fitness level, repeat 10-30 times.
If you are looking for any supplements you can buy it from your nearest medical store or order through an online medicine store like Truemeds, which will give you a 72% discount and the best deal offers on your prescription medicines. They are also providing free PAN India home delivery with minimum purchases of Rupees 500. You can also check if they are having any coupons or discounts. If you are a first-time user then you can apply the MED25 coupon to get a 25% discount (check on the website).