The firmware is a software embedded in any hardware device that controls its behavior. If any device is running on an outdated firmware, it will not function properly. The same is with Netgear routers. They cease to work if their firmware is not updated. Thus, if you have performed Netgear Nighthawk setup, it is recommended to update the firmware of your Netgear router whenever its new update is available.
Why Should You Update Firmware?
As we mentioned earlier, the firmware manages how your device behaves, but it also has other advantages that are mentioned below:
- Performing Netgear firmware update fixes bugs and adds new features to the router.
- It also protects the router from security vulnerabilities.
Steps to Update Firmware of Nighthawk Router
The firmware of the Netgear Nighthawk router can be updated either via the Manual method or using the Netgear Nighthawk app. Let’s discuss the step-by-step guide to perform firmware update by both methods:
Netgear Firmware Update Via Manual Method
To update the firmware of your Netgear router via the Manual method, you need to download the firmware update file on your PC. Read the following steps to manually update your router’s firmware:
- Power up your Netgear Nighthawk router by connecting it to a working wall outlet.
- Connect your router and modem.
- Once the power LED stabilizes, turn on your PC or laptop.
- Launch a web browser and navigate to its address bar.
- Type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar to access the Netgear router login page.
- Provide the default username and password in the respective fields.
- Click on the Log In button.
- As soon as you click the Log in button, the Basic Home Screen will appear.
- Click on the Administration option under the Advanced menu.
- Select the Firmware Update option.
- Now, browse the firmware update file you’ve downloaded on your PC.
- Once found, select the file and click on the Upload button.
- The firmware update will start.
Is the Manual method tough for you? No worries! You can also update the firmware of your Netgear router using the Netgear Nighthawk app.
Firmware Update Using the Netgear Nighthawk App
Updating the firmware of Netgear router via the Netgear Nighthawk app is quite easier than the Manual method. Here’s how to do it:
- Connect your Netgear router to a power outlet and switch on the Power button.
- Do not proceed before the LED light turns green.
- Unlock your mobile phone.
- Open the Play Store (Android) or Apple App Store (iOS).
- Search for the Nighthawk App.
- Once found, download and install the app.
- Launch the app after the installation completes.
- Create a Netgear account.
- Enter the default username and password in the required fields and tap on the Log In button.
- The Netgear Genie setup wizard will appear.
- Go to the Router Settings page and tap the Firmware Update option.
- Now, tap Check for Updates.
- If a new firmware is available, tap on the Update option.
- As soon as you tap the Update option, the firmware of your Netgear router will start updating.
What to Do If Netgear Router Firmware Update Fails?
Updating the firmware of your Netgear router is not a tough task. However, some users face issues while doing so. To make sure you’re not one of them, keep these points in mind:
- Establish a strong connection between the router and modem. It is recommended to connect both devices using an Ethernet cable. Ensure that there are no cuts on the Ethernet cable.
- Make sure you have a strong internet connection while updating the firmware of your Netgear router.
- If you are using the Manual method to update the firmware, update the web browser, and clear its browsing history, cookies, and cache.
- Place your Netgear router in a ventilated area so that its WiFi signals do not get blocked.
- Also, keep WiFi interference objects like fish tanks, aluminum studs, baby monitors, Bluetooth speakers, microwave ovens, etc. far away from your router.
The firmware update of the Netgear router is necessary for its better productivity. If you keep the firmware of your router updated, the functionality, as well as durability of your router, will enhance. Thanks for reading the article.