In this article we are goona see, how we can use “were+would” in english speaking. So, keep reading this article and by the end of this article you would not have any confusion on this topic. So, lets kick off :-
Rule 1 : Whenever someone wishes that if he/she in the place of another person in past then what he/she would have done at that time. It is a hypothetical situation and no existence with reality.
Rule 2 : We always use “were” regardless of the subject of the sentence.
Rule 3 : Make sure to use “were” in the if clause part and the “would” in the conditional part of the sentence
- If he were at my place, he would understand me. (Here, in this example we see that subject wishes to be another person in his place so that he could understand him.)
- Incorrect :If he was not my friend, i would get him killed. Correct : If he were not my friend, i would get him killed.
- If i were a lion, i would roar.
- If i were you, i would not do that.
- What would you do if you were a king?