All of us tend to ignore insurance products because we believe that we will stay healthy throughout our lifetime. In case, we get disabled due to a medical condition or an accident, the work and finances get affected adversely. That’s why insurance companies always suggest buying long-term disability insurance. This product offers benefits to the person for conditions that qualify for LTD. While making a claim, it is always a good idea to get in touch with a lawyer. He can guide you better on what to do to gain the benefits.
Conditions that qualify for long-term benefits
You should be aware of the medical conditions in which you can claim the benefits after you have become disabled and cannot work. Some of them are elaborated as below:
- Mental disorders- If you have been suffering from depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder and PTSD, you can qualify for LTD benefits.
- TBI or traumatic brain injury
- Musculoskeletal disorders- In this condition, if you are unable to work due to severe back pain, spinal cord or carpal tunnel syndrome, you are qualified to get the LTD benefits.
- Heart disorders
- Parkinson’s diseases
The above mentioned are a few common conditions. However, they may vary from one policy to another. It is suggested to contact the insurance company to know about these conditions.
Determination of the coverage
The coverage or benefits are determined based on several factors. Some of them are explained below:
- The extent of the medical issue or injury- The insurance company will look at the medical condition of the extent of your injury that has made you disabled. It plays a vital role while deciding the coverage.
- Proof of disability- You need to submit proof of your medical condition or the injury. In this case, the doctor’s reports, X-rays and scans need to be submitted to the insurance company to decide the amount of the LTD claim.
Denial of the LTD claim
In many instances, the LTD claim can be refused because of several reasons and the most common is the erroneous claim form. This is one of the reasons why it is suggested to contact a lawyer as soon as you become disabled and feel that you cannot work any longer. Moreover, he can fill-up the form, remove errors and file a lawsuit if things are not in your favor. You should speak to a few lawyers before choosing the best one.